Tuesday, October 25

Im back!

Apologies for my extended absence since my last post, life has been getting the better of me lately. Unfortunately i did not manage to make the most of the Ally Pally experience.. i caught a bug on the friday and felt really ill whilst touring round the stalls on the saturday. I didnt make it to any of the wonderful workshops and i did not come away with a very satisfying haul. It was uncomfortabley hot in the hall for someone who was feeling sick already so i was bitterly disappointed to leave early. I had dragged my sister along with me and she brought back more exciting bits than i did! I came away with a couple of card making kits and some yummy skeins from the colinette stand. It was amazing to be able to see all the colinette yarn in person!

Apologies to Jeni at fyberspates for not coming and saying hi but by the time i reached getknitted it was absolutely swamped by people and i was in no mood to battle my way through.
Now for my life dilemas..
Since i graduated ive been applying for several jobs, all jobs which ive actually wanted to do but so far i have had not one single interview... I dont get it, i have a degree in a relevant subject area surely i deserve a chance? But no, i lack experience in said subject area.. How does one go about getting the experience i need when no-one will even give me a chance!
Sorry excuse the vent, ive been trying to sort my life out alot lately and its getting to me.
I think ive decided to go back to university and do a masters then at least for the next year i can just find part time work to tide us over.. Plus the masters includes several placements which may be enough experience to satisfy employers.
Im almost finished making one of the cards from the kit i bought so i'll show a pic of the finished article. Its for my mum as its her birthday on sunday.

5 comments:

Jess said...

I don't know what the relevant area is, but things have become very competitive and many recent graduates either have or are currently volunteering in their relevant field: no pay apart from expenses, but builds up the CV. Is there any way that you can combine the MA with a volunteering bit of work in your relevant area? At my college, there is the general sense that in London to gain promotion and get jobs, the BA is no longer sufficient. Many of our MA students are taking one to improve their job prospects.

Daisy said...

Hope you're feeling better! What Masters are you thinking of?

PURLPOWER said...

Doing a masters has become the new mantra instead of 'just' doing a degree. It seems tough I know, I reached the same conclusion myself a couple of years ago and went back to college. If it's any consolation, doing a masters was the best move I could have made. Opened the door to new jobs and it was really interesting. What subject are you thinking of doing? Hope you feel better soon.

Anonymous said...

hello!
hope your feeling better. In my experimence, the best way to get all the experience you want is to do it for free. I guarentee that even if you only do it for a few hours a week, you will get job offers from there. Unfortunately it's the only way!
Jeni

Andrea said...

Hi Emily - I know it's disheartening and it really makes you wonder why you put so much effort into the last 3 years but believe me you are not alone and as the others have pointed out - a degree without experience is just not enough - you need them both.
I got a 1st in my degree and still I am not in permanent employment! I'm enrolled P/T on my MSc but need to work as well. I did voluntary work on and off throughout my degree - only to be told when I came to apply in my chosen field that I needed 12mths paid (or F/T voluntary) experience. I am now doing sessional work to try to build that up. If I lower my standards and apply for jobs that do not require degrees/NVQ level 4 equivalents I don't get anywhere because I'm overqualified! Like you I'm hoping that the placement I do at the end of my MSc will open doors. In the meantime I need some kind of job to pay mortgage etc. especially as DH just been told he's being made redundant Dec 31st:(

I suppose you just have to keep hold of the idea that it will (hopefully) all be worth it in the end!